Monday, August 15, 2011

Boo you whore.

I just wrote this long, sweet post introducing my fiance and how awesome he is.  and then accidentally reloaded the page and lost. it. all.  Because this is the cherry on my Monday sundae, I'm going to tell you about house hunting instead.

I'm 23 years old.  I'm a graduate student making a wage below the poverty level and praying that my internship supervisor finds a stipend for me.  I own a car (a beautiful Mazda CX-7), live with my parents, and commute about an hour to work/intern up to six days a week.  As you can tell from my last post I am also planning a wedding.  My fiance is being as helpful as possible, but he is away at a four month long training session for his new job in federal law enforcement.  He needs to be focusing on his work there because A) he'll be carrying around a gun and I'd like him to know how to safely use it and B) he will probably be our primary bread winner.  We've both agreed that I can work or stay home with our future family, that the decision is OURS, and we want to make this decision based on the needs of our family and not finances.  Once I've stepped off of my soap box, I'll continue.  Here is a picture of my cute car in the interim:

Ain't she a beauty?!
(personal photo)

We have decided that it will be in our best interest to purchase a home instead of renting.  Because renting means that you are not building equity and are throwing money away. Right?  Right?!  We've started working with a realtor, reading about home loans, and checking our credit.  I've been pestering my parents with questions like "Do I have to pay a lender for helping me?" or "Do you think Sandra from Property Virgins will be nice to us if we make it on the show?"  Thank goodness my dad is a military officer and they've had to buy and sell houses with most of our moves, essentially making my mom an expert.  Northern Virginia is still super expensive, but because we'll live in the home for 5-7 and hopefully start our family there, we'd like a little space and a lot of safety.  

I love and fear Sandra of Property Virgins.

If I'd been able to post my last entry, you would have learned that my fiance loves to research any decision.  I like to make decisions too quickly.  I promise you'll understand how compatible we are once I rewrite that darned post.  When I purchased that gorgeous vehicle above, I was a mess.  Once I decided she was coming home with me I wanted her and I wanted her now.  (God bless the salesman who let me begin filling out paperwork less that 15 minutes before the dealership closed.)  I hate the in-between, the uncertain, the undecided.  We have established, agreed, and decided that we need to purchase some place to live.  BUT he is away for training and has very few weekends off.  We can't afford a house if we are spending several hundred dollars every weekend for him fly from Georgia to Virginia to spend 36 hours with me, 24 of which would be spent looking at homes and townhouses.  I know this will be long and arduous process, so I am doing my best to practice as much patience as possible.  I'm screening houses, picking out favorites, and will ask my fiance to fly up if I fall in love with a house.   This is the plan and that is a decision I can cling to while I'm stuck living with my parents in-between now and then. Any suggestions for a new home-buyer or how to miraculously cure my inability to wait patiently and not anxiously bite my nails?

No comments:

Post a Comment