Friday, June 22, 2012

Reviews: DJ Roo

Obviously we worked with several venders during the course of our wedding. We had serious discussions with two caterers, two photographers, several venues, a seamstress, a handle of dress shops, florists, and one DJ. Si any one else just start humming the 12 Days of Christmas in their head? Because I totally did. Over the next month or so I will try to write detailed reviews of each vender we seriously considered, why they beat out the competition, and how satisfied we were.

Here's a list of who made the final cut in the order they will be reviewed:

- DJ Roo: ceremony and reception music, master of ceremonies
- Caroline Street Catering (cocktail hour, dinner, bar service)
- Rock Hill Plantation House: ceremony and reception venue
- Sam's Club and Costco: bulk flowers, etc.
- Chad Ainsworth Photography: engagement and wedding photographer
- Paper goods from Michaels, Vistaprint, and Staples
- Craigslist (not a vender but still useful)
- Oncewed.com: yup! I got my dress online from a girl who decided she didn't like it anymore
- Misc. online orders including Amazon.com

I'll add more to this as I think about.

I promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. So help me God.


First up: DJ Roo

I WISH I had a photo of him.  Instead I'll show you this picture instead:



If you know me at all, you know I don't dance.  If you can see the above picture, you recognize the fact that I am white.... really, really, rhythmlessly, two left-footed white.  I don't sing either.  All musical ability was passed on to my sister.  But DJ Roo was AH-MAZING.  The right amount of every type of music at exactly the right time.   

 I just listened to whatever he told me to do, because not only do I lack rhythm, I'm pretty sure I lack any decent taste in music.  Seriously, my sister just gives me music and suggests bands that I'll like.  It works for me. 

Not only did I totally trust him with the ceremony and reception music, but I left the timing of the wedding events up to him.  He was the Master of Ceremonies (I think that's what it's called when he introduces everyone and tells you when it's time to cut the cake at least.)   He knew I was nervous about dancing and being the center of attention in general, and encouraged me to get difficult things (like the first dance) out of the way early. I gave him so little direction - which I feel a little bad about because I'm sure it created more work for him - but he was just so good at everything.   He's classy, appropriately funny, and incredibly talented.  

Luis and I danced to Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love" because 1) it was the only thing we could both agree on and 2: these lines from the lyrics:

Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you


I'd like a take a time out to give Luis huge amounts of kudos for being so awesome during our first dance.   I was 100% over the moon happy and smiling the whole wedding - the only time I really cried was during our dance.  I totally broke down for just a minute.  It was like all the seriousness and importance of the day was crushed into the first minute of the song and I lost it.  Luis made me laugh and just kept talking the whole time.  He knew that I was insanely nervous and self conscious about dancing soberly in front of other people almost everyone I know.  You know you picked a keeper when a guy can take you from ugly crying back to sparkly bride in just one song.  

My Dad and I danced to the main theme from "Beauty and the Beast,"just like we did when I was little.  



I love dancing with my Dad.  He's an amazing dancer, but will never admit to it.  We've been dancing together for a looooooong time so you can trust my expert opinion.

 Belle and the Beast did the move in the picture above and I used to think it was the best part of the whole dance - it still is!


I don't know the name of the song Luis and his mom danced to but it was super sweet.  She picked it out and we gave it to DJ Roo on a CD.



Please enjoy the ridiculous pictures below.  We were some dancin' fools.  All. Night. Long.




I WISH I knew what was going on in the pictures below.  Those boys are pumped.






A DJ can absolutely make or break your wedding.  If you have the opportunity PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE choose DJ Roo.  It will be one of the best decisions you will make.  Trust him absolutely and you will have zero regrets - especially about his fees.  They are more than reasonable and he is worth every single penny.  









All photos by Chad Ainsworth Photography and all rights belong to me.  It's in the contract bitches.  

No comments:

Post a Comment